Friday, October 15, 2010

Sorry For the Hiatus- Shake & Bake Tomatoes

October is a crazy month for my family! So many birthdays and our anniversary, and Halloween events! And then you add in midterms, and fall breaks, and it just gets more busy! I am so sorry I haven't posted anything recently, I have been meaning to! I will try to be better! Please forgive me!

Today I am going to share one of my Husband's (the Recovering Meat-a-holic Dad) recipes. This recipe came about by accident when we did not have any breadcrumbs around, but had some shake and bake mix (which is vegetarian)! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! we might have to make this tonight with some of the tomatoes and parsley we harvested at the University Sill Garden yesterday!

Shake & Bake Tomatoes

2 Tablespoons butter
1 Clove garlic, chopped
1/2 cup of shake and bake (we use the chicken shake and bake usually, don't know how the others are)
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh parsley
1/4 cup of mexican cheese blend
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4-5 roma tomatoes, halved

Directions:
1. Arrange oven rack in upper third of oven, preheat to 425F
2. Line broiling pan or cookie sheet with foil
3. In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat, add garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant (1 minute or so)
4. Remove skillet from heat, stir in shake and bake, parsley, cheese, and seasonings until well mixed.
5. place tomato halves cut side up on prepared cookie sheet and top with the shake and bake mixture.
6. Roast 15 minutes or until tomatoes are heated through and topping is slightly browned.

These make an excellent appetiser for parties as they are pretty quick to make! The time we have made them they have been very much enjoyed by everyone!

On another note: I have been thinking about starting a vegetarian group through Meet-up for Salt Lake City. There are over 100 people who are waiting for such a group, and I think it would be a great way to spread the word about my site a little more. The only problem is that it costs money to be the host of the group. It's about $12 a month. I would love to do it, but I am not sure I can really afford that right now. If you are a vegetarian in the Salt Lake area would you please comment and let me know if you would be willing to come to events if I started a vegetarian meet-up.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Hi Holly! I found your blog looking for some good vegetarian freezer meals. I *am* in the Salt Lake area & if you've started a vegetarian meet-up, I'd be interested in joining. And, if not, we should start one! I do a dinner exchange with a (vegetarian) friend & have often thought about expanding it to another family. Give me a shout sometime! lumpsonablog@gmail.com or http:lumpsonablog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete