Monday, October 25, 2010

Halloween: Edible Jack-o-Lanterns

This weekend is Halloween! Halloween is a big deal in my family. My little sister was born on Halloween, and my mom has always gone all out for Halloween. She does so many crafty things and makes all kinds of fun meals. Because she is so into Halloween I decided I would do a whole week of fun Halloween recipes!
This first one comes from the blog of one of my Husband's cousins. I stole it, with permission, it's always fun to see what other people are doing! The idea came to her as she was flipping through a Halloween magazine: stuffed orange peppers with Spaghetti and cut them up like Jack-O-lanterns. Here is her take on the idea!

7 orange peppers
1 cup brown rice
1 package mushrooms, sliced
1/2 onion, diced
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Cook rice according to directions



2. Hollow out and cut peppers like jack-o-lanterns, make sure you reserve the tops! You can't make a proper jack-o-lantern without a stem.
2. In a sauce pan, melt the butter. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add the soy sauce and mushrooms, cook until tender.
3. Turn off heat. Add Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese.
4. Mix vegetable and cheese mixture with cooked rice, stuff into peppers.
5. Place on baking sheet, cook at 350 degrees for ten to fifteen minutes, until peppers are tender.

Don't these sound fantastic! And they look so much fun! I imagine you could mix just about any veggie in with the rice mixture and it would be just as good! I'm thinking of trying these with some spinach added, as it is hard to get my kids to eat the green veggies unless they are mixed in with other yummy things!

Photobucket