Friday, September 17, 2010

Impromptu Camp Dinner- Vegetarian Tin Foil Dinners

My Dad invited my husband and boys to go on a father-son camping trip with him and a few of my brothers this weekend. My boys have been excited to go camping (well, at least the one who understands what camping is!), and I have been excited for a night off! (Hopefully a girls night..., we will see) I got a call from my mom this morning asking me to make up dinner for the boys and my Hubby for the camping trip tonight. I wasn't prepared for this, so I rummaged through my pantry and freezer and made up some tin-foil dinners! Here's the recipe!

Vegetarian Tin Foil Dinners (makes about four (or three generously sized ones!)

4 tablespoons butter
4 potatoes, washed and thinly sliced
1 cup frozen peas
1 recipe of frozen veggies & chicken from Chickenless Noodle Soup
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
8- 12" pieces of tin foil
Non-stick Spray

  1. Mix the broth and mushroom soup together to form a gravy.
  2. For each dinner spray a piece of tin foil with non-stick spray, form to a bowl like shape.
  3. Put one tablespoon chopped butter in the center of the foil. Top with one potato's worth of potato slices, 1/4 cup of peas, 1 cup of the frozen veggie mixture, and one cup of the gravy.
  4. Seal up the packet tightly, place in the center of another sheet of tin foil and wrap again, crimping edges if needed.
  5. Cook in the coals of the campfire for about 30 minutes, remove from coals, unwrap and enjoy!
Best part? Easy clean-up! Just throw away the tinfoil!

I'll make sure to bug my hubby about taking a picture of his cooked meal tonight!

Photobucket